WashingtonLakes.com

access on the Dungeness River, Early Coho maybe

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you

access on the Dungeness River, Early Coho maybe

Postby drysuperfly52 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:33 am

I am attempting to take my parents and girl friend fishing this Saturday and would like to go for salmon, my mom and girlfriend are not ready for the combat fishing at the Skokomish so we need a river will more room, (I know this means less fish). we live in Lynnwood and I was thinking about the Dungeness river since coho opened last week, we don’t mind a couple hours travel time. I am guessing where every we end up we want to be towards the mouth at high tide.. any suggestions, pointers and tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

i am assuming we are going to get skunked which is fine we just like fishing. but hey everyone gets lucky sometimes
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school
drysuperfly52
Commander

Re: access on the Dungeness River, Early Coho maybe

Postby drysuperfly52 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:21 am

updated i chose the river but now i need help figuring out the details
drysuperfly52
Commander

Postby Bodofish » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:00 am

Key on the Dung is shallow, shallow, shallow. You can walk across the river at most tide levels so high tide is when you're going to see some action. Haven't fished there in a few years, I did have part of my job in Sequim for a while so I would sneak down on occation.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!
Bodofish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Postby countryboy87 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:36 am

according to the regs the dungeness isnt open till october. however if it is open and you go think light. real skinny water and can be super clear. small presentaions and the lightest line u dare. that fishery was alot of fun last fall plan on going again this year a bunch
countryboy87
Petty Officer

Postby Brat Bonker » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:33 pm

fish the quilcene, more fish for them to catch, lots of access below 101, not too many people either. Try tossing spinners and twitching jigs where ever you go.
Brat Bonker
Admiral

Postby drysuperfly52 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Well oct 16 sure looked like aug 16, thanks for the heads up that would have been real bad, so looks like quilecen for the family and I, thanks again
drysuperfly52
Commander

Postby knotabassturd » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Wow, the Dungeness. Used to fish it for Steel waaaay back when I was pretty much a kid (like the mid 80s I think). Was a pleasant Japanese guy (Mr Katayama? prob got it wrong) that lived just on other side of street from the river and boy did he know the Dungeness very well. :salut:

He would go out for chinook and coho too off Dung spit during summers. Taught me how to set the hook proper LOL =D> #-o
i.e. 'make sure when you set the hook that I have to grab you before you fall out the back side of the boat' or some sort of wisdom like that. Good guy, caught tons of fish.

Absolutely no idea what it'd be like these days. Beautiful small river though.

Let us know how the Quil goes. I will probably be up that way Labor Day weekend but may not be able to fish it. [blink] [crying]

That's OK, on the flip side there's a good chance I'll be sipping a few cold ones or at least a good wine while snacking on Manila/steamer clams. :cheers:
Tapes japonica I believe, a rare fine import. [thumbup]
knotabassturd
Captain

Return to River Fishing