WashingtonLakes.com

New To Island County

Freshwater fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.

New To Island County

Postby cobrar543 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:25 am

Moving to Camano Island this coming week and I see a lot of small lakes showing on the map. But there are no reports on them.
Anyone ever fish them? Hear of anyone? I would love to stop at a few on the way home from work and dunk some plastic or worms.
Doug
cobrar543
Warrant Officer

RE:New To Island County

Postby The Quadfather » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:50 am

You should send a PM to a guy named Dave from the forum, he lives up there, he will know what's what.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg
The Quadfather
Admiral

Postby cobrar543 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:09 pm

Dave sent ME a PM, he is in need of a great pat on the back..I know more now then most charter captians..LOL..
cobrar543
Warrant Officer

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:27 am

Glad to hear you received the PM. As for lakes on Camano Island; There is a private lake called Lost Lake. You have to live there to fish it and its more like a 40 foot wide body of water that goes around an island in the middle. I believe it is stocked with RB each year for the kids and residents to go after but that's about it. There is also a fly fishing body of water that is privately owned where you can fish for a large fee and catch and release lunker trout. There is a very nice lake on a piece of property "Kristofferson Ranch" right off of East Camano Road but I have only seen a few folks fish it from a boat and I believe they were associated with the people who own the property. It looks like it would hold bass. There is a tiny pond called Carp Lake, it looks like a puddle with stumps and Cranberry Lake which is also a tiny body of water. I am not aware of either of these ponds holding fish or being fished. Other than that, I don't believe there are any other real lake opportunities on Camano Island.

Locally, lakes near by Camano Island are:

Lake Ketchum in Stanwood
Sunday Lake, just west of I-5 at the Stanwood Camano Exit aka SR-532. There is no launch, a tube would be the way to go.
There is the 7 lakes area which is southeast of downtown Stanwood in an area known as Warm Beach. Lakes there include; Goodwin, Crabapple, Martha, Shannon, Ki, Shoecraft, Loma and Howard. All of these have boat access and are stocked every year with RB. It's a zoo during the opener but after that these lakes offer some good fishing. Once it warms up Goodwin gets a heavy dose of water skiers so fishing opportunities are in the early morning hours at best or when the weather is cooler or raining which discourages the water skiers. I almost forgot Fisher Slough off of old Hwy 99 just north of Stanwood. The slough holds cutts, RM, and salmon but it is a spawning ground so I rarely fish it anymore. I hate to bother the spawning fish however I have caught some nice fish there over the years.

Other lakes in the area, not far from I-5 near the SR-532 exit are: Armstrong, McMurray, Big and Sixteen. All provide good fishing opportunities and are fairly close to home for the Islanders.

I have fished all of these lakes for the last 25 years and they can all be good fishing.

Don't forget the rivers. Two close to home are the Stillaguamish and Skagit. The Stilly has a spot off of the Sylvana highway. Take the Sylvana Arlington exit (exit 208) and head west to the bridge. Fish under the bridge in the deep hole there. Lots of salmon hold there and during the pink salmon run there are thousands of salmon waiting for your lure. That's just one spot that is close to home if you want to fish the river. In fact of you head towards Stanwood from there passing through Sylvana, you will come to another bridge. Park there and fish the river there. Good fishin at this spot. Lots of folks casting flies.

Like I mentioned in my PM. I will be happy to show you these spots on a map if you like. Just give me a shout. Good luck with the move.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Commodore

Postby cobrar543 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:55 am

Spent all day packing boxes, but you KNOW the spinning rods are already in the Explorer! Moving out this weekend I think, depends on the new boss and what he wants. I seen all those small lakes on Google earth and was wondering about those. Thanks for filling in the blanks.
Doug
cobrar543
Warrant Officer

Re: New To Island County

Postby loxmills » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:20 pm

moving to lost lake this next week . Can always count on washingtonlakes.com for info! thank you for the great info dave!
loxmills
Angler

Postby loxmills » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:21 pm

@doug how do you like it out that way so far ?
loxmills
Angler

Postby racfish » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:06 pm

Watch out for the Island County Sherrifs Dept.
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Postby Bodofish » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:39 pm

Hehehehe, we were having a big party at my brothers place on Lopez for the 4th. Lighting off every kind of firework imaginable. Having a great time!!! Up comes the local Dep-tee, (second time that day) and says he's going to have to confiscate all the "goods". We said ok and gave him a bag of wrappers and dirty nasty diapers!!!! I''ll bet he was surprised when he got home!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!
Bodofish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Return to Freshwater Fishing - trollingflies.com, Sponsor