WashingtonLakes.com

Salmon Fishing In A Bay...

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you

Salmon Fishing In A Bay...

Postby FishBaitThe2nd » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:28 pm

hey guys, so theres this bay (i prefer not to tell the name or where- message if you would like to know) , its no where near where i usually fish for salmon. I fish this place every year and havent had great luck. Theres ALWAYS a ton of silvers and chum here though. Ive had little luck throwing buzz bombs, and ive had some luck with bobber and herring. What else should i throw at them? Spoons, spinners, jigs? If so, what kind of spinners an spoons an jigs? Thanks in advance. [cool]

FB
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson
FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Re: Salmon Fishing In A Bay...

Postby Mike Carey » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:48 am

ahh, lock-jaw silvers. I remeber years ago fishing Dewatto Bay, surrounded by silvers and totally unable to get them to take anything. Then other times - on fire. Just bring everything and keep experimenting!

"I like to turn it up to 11, it's one louder than 10".
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Postby G-Man » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:58 am

Try a 50/50 #2 Dick Nite a few feet under a float with slow retrieve.
G-Man
Admiral

Postby rseas » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:25 am

G-Man wrote:Try a 50/50 #2 Dick Nite a few feet under a float with slow retrieve.

That is exactly what I was thinking, well more or less anyway. I would run a # 2 50/50 Dick Night, 3-4' of leader, a swivel and one of those floats you can fill with water. Fill the float to the point where it barely floats then cast and retrieve very slowly.
rseas
Commander

Postby 'OL GREY DOG » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:32 pm

you might try a flyish kinda thing with a bead or 2 'n 1 of those silly smiley thingys above it ..... either under that float or casted on realllyyy light gear/line ... an erratic retrieve that brings it near the surface ... and then let it die ... catch it ... let it die .... and dont put it on top of or across the fish .. i like to think the guys on the edge of a school might swin out after something they see/feel ... i'll tie a lot of stuff up on good old 20 lb pline cxx leaders ... leave about a foot tail ... then i could grab a fly or wut ever (shhhh) drop on a bead or 2 of what ever color on ... used to add a clip thingy that i could change spinner blades/shape/color and still do but take a bag full of smileys ... diff size/color now too ... another 1 is a small Hildibrant type 2 blade spinner thingy ... in line with your fly or spinner or spoon ...or combo of 1 or another with short leaders ... finicky fish that dont spook too bad when ya cast to/around 'em but wont bite ... ya gotta piss 'em off ... the predator chase'n the prey (the lil tiny spoons on my Hildibrant) that annoys salmanoids that are think'n about sex 'n babies 'n all that stuff and have a nose full of fresh water ... they prowle bk 'n 4th along shore in big angry schools ... if your ever in a shallow bay when they "turn on" and in mass decide to feed it's amaze'n dang near scarey ... Quilcene bay in a canoe with a heavy trout rod and 8lb pline .. 10ft of water and clouds of fish swin'n past has to rate rrright up at the top of good times i've ever had fish'n ... DOG
'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Postby schu7498 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:27 pm

I have spent 3 years fishing the Tahuya bay for those "lock jaw silvers." Ive not once gotten them to bite, and I have thrown everything at them. I once met a guy that got his limit in a few minutes with a rainbow trout colored crocodile spoon, then gave me the spoon and left. I used that spoon for weeks, casting right in front of the schools of silvers. They had no interest in biting it, and they would think it was a fish and swim with it towards me until they noticed me standing there. So after awhile I made the assumption he snagged his fish like all the other dewatto/tahuya silver fishermen. I am waiting for the silvers to show back up in October to give it a try another year.
It is almost worth it to wait til they go up the river because they get much more aggressive, taking jigs under a float in crystal clear water.
I have a friend that fishes liliwap bay with buzzbombs and spoons and has some luck, and hes not a snagger.
schu7498
Commander

Postby FishBaitThe2nd » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks for the tips guys ! Ill try the dick nite under a float, and the fly. I saw some spoons on ebay that im going to order that i think will work pretty good.
Its not dewatto or tahuya bay though [flapper]
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson
FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Postby losaturn » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:26 am

If it's the bay leading to Gorst Creek, cast Pt.Wilson darts. There are also a lot of chinook there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N8v20ITyxg&feature=plcp
losaturn
Petty Officer

Postby zen leecher » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:18 pm

I've had some good luck with using some secret lures on silver schools in bays.
zen leecher
Lieutenant

Postby Gringo Pescador » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:06 pm

schu7498 wrote: I once met a guy that got his limit in a few minutes with a rainbow trout colored crocodile spoon, then gave me the spoon and left. I used that spoon for weeks, casting right in front of the schools of silvers. They had no interest in biting it, and they would think it was a fish and swim with it towards me until they noticed me standing there. So after awhile I made the assumption he snagged his fish like all the other dewatto/tahuya silver fishermen. I am waiting for the silvers to show back up in October to give it a try another year.

Were you (or was he) doing a straight retrieve (like a spinner) or jigging? Sometimes the action of jigging (true jigging.. twitch/reel/twitch/reel, not HOOKSET/reel-reel-reel/HOOKSET/reel-reel-reel) will get em to pounce.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker
Gringo Pescador

Postby FishBaitThe2nd » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:40 pm

losaturn wrote:If it's the bay leading to Gorst Creek, cast Pt.Wilson darts. There are also a lot of chinook there.

Nope its not that one, ive caughten quite a few chinookk outta there though last year
FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Postby obryan214 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:26 pm

second attempt

got a secret coho bay in september i use size 3-4 mepps aglias and blue foxes in various colors. we had 64 silvers got in the boat last year.
obryan214
Lieutenant

Postby obryan214 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:14 pm

losaturn wrote:If it's the bay leading to Gorst Creek, cast Pt.Wilson darts. There are also a lot of chinook there.

pass this one on the way toward my spot, see lots of people by the nudie bar but no where else except netters. haven't found the boat ramp yet or I'd be out there too. :nemo:
obryan214
Lieutenant

Postby FishBaitThe2nd » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:48 pm

I never fished gorst from a boat, just from the shore and did pretty well.

I went to a spot today and caught a 8 pound coho abotu 20 feet off the shore on a buzzbomb
FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Postby king killer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:35 pm

Where would you fish gorst creek from shore ?
king killer
Warrant Officer

Postby FishBaitThe2nd » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:38 pm

Theres a small parking lot behind some building (forgot which one), and then you walk highway (other side of the rails) and it will take you to an opening thru the bushes and you can go out there on the beach and start casting
FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Postby king killer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks
king killer
Warrant Officer

Return to Saltwater Fishing