WashingtonLakes.com

Pier crabbing in Seattle

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you

Pier crabbing in Seattle

Postby crabbycakes » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:34 am

Hi guys,

New guy here. I was wondering if you had any tips on a decent place for pier crabbing? I don't have a boat and was thinking of heading out July 1 when the season opens.

A friend of mine recommended Mukilteo and a neighbor said Deception Pass (not sure where though.) Kayak park maybe?

Thanks!
crabbycakes
Angler

RE:Pier crabbing in Seattle

Postby racfish » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:35 pm

You need about 1000' of rope to crab Deception Pass. Thats a heck of a bridge to crab from. :-) Mukilteo is good,Edmonds is good,Bush Point is decent,I try to stay out of Elliot, and Commencement bays. I see them crab at Shilshole but even that is a tad bit scarey for me.I see guys crab redondo but again to me!!! the water is not clean enough. Good Luck
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Postby ResQ » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:03 pm

Am I reading this right. Crabbing is only open thursday - monday in the puget sound?! WTF?
ResQ
Commander

Postby Jake Dogfish » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:40 pm

Yeah thats right.[thumbdn]
I can only crab on Mondays for leftovers with my work schedule. I wish they would just leave it open until the quota was filled, instead of making us all crab on the same days of the week.
Jake Dogfish
Commander

Postby ResQ » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:37 pm

Total crap. I usually just crab on weekdays. Totally blows. AND they shortened the season.
ResQ
Commander

Postby The Quadfather » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:27 am

ResQ wrote:Total crap. I usually just crab on weekdays. Totally blows. AND they shortened the season.

I'm not sure that I follow you on where they shortened the season Res Q?

PUGET SOUND
Marine Areas 4 (east of the
Bonilla-Tatoosh line), 5, 6, 8-1,
[h]8-2, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13[/h]Marine Area 7 South
(See map next page)
Marine Area 7 North
(See map next page)
DUNGENESS and
RED ROCK Crab
All Dunge ness
crab kept must
be immediately
recorded on a
catch record card
in ink (see page
16).
Open for all fishing methods at 7:00 a.m. on the opening date for each Marine Area.
Crab gear must be removed from the water during each weekly closure period.
Any additional opening dates will be announced in October. Refer to Shellfish Rule Change toll
free Hotline, (866) 880-5431, or visit http://wdfw.wa.gov.
[h]Open July 1-Sept. 5, Thur. through Mon. only[/h].

The summer season always goes through labor day weekend. Then in Oct. they count your catch record cards.. and make the decision regarding a winter season or not. This year they actually added a day in the week's schedule, making it 5 days-- Thur- Monday, as opposed to the shorter WEd- Sat.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg
The Quadfather
Admiral

Postby Gonefishing » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:52 am

Shortened it? Actually the length seems the same as prior years. They are giving you one extra day a week to crab or be crabby.

As for Edmonds and the pier... it will be pretty much only rock crab. Dungies rarely if ever show at the dock. Mukilteo would be spot of choice.... I think.
Gonefishing
Commander

Postby racfish » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:58 pm

The water at the Mukilteo dock seemed to shallow. I was fishing one day there and it didnt seem very deep. Where the Ferries are 20 yards away was much deeper of a drop off. Ive not been to Edmonds pier in a long time.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Postby ResQ » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:59 am

They shortened it by a later opener and by adding day restrictions.
ResQ
Commander

Postby ResQ » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:03 am

Unless im just forgetting about the day restrictions?? Definatley opened june 16th ish though.
ResQ
Commander

Postby wolverine » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:17 am

I did the 1000 casts with a jig today at Edmonds. 3 hours starting at daylight and 3 hours in the evening fishing the high tide. NADA. No salmon have hit the deck in nearly 3 weeks but the old regulars are there every day hoping to get lucky. There had to be at least 100 pots/rings in the water today. A lot of undersize red rocks but no dungies. A whole lot of starfish made the journey from the bottom to the top of the pier and tossed/kicked back in. The crabbers would toss the starfish back in on the other side of the pier that they were working. Of course the folks on that side were returning the favor and tossing the starfish they hauled up back on the other side. the starfish were hauled up so many times they probably got sunburned. The pier was smelling really foul tonight from the rotting vegetation hauled up and left on the deck, starfish slime, every type of crab bait remains, a couple of ratfish were rotting in the sun, food scraps, etc. Hopefully it rains every night to wash off the filth.
Life's short - fish hard!
wolverine
Captain

Postby Gonefishing » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:12 am

I thought a 13 or 15 lb was landed back on Tuesday by the one known as Gold Tooth, or maybe I got my info wrong. But yeah it has been sloooooow. As for the Crabbers that was my excuse for not coming out, too many rings and I'm not fond of that circus! My other excuse is I can't decide if I want 15 or 20 pound line to put on. My last cast earlier this week left me with the rats nest of a 1000 knots I couldn't undo - damned wind anyways.

Rains may happen Sunday which would be nice considering they don't wash off the pier like they use to in the way back days.

When did crabbing open last year anyways? I thought it was about the same time. In any case the state did say after the season was done that we would get an extra day each week to crab. Not that us dingbats of a 1000 cast don't have enough to crab about each day :D
Gonefishing
Commander

Postby Jake Dogfish » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:38 am

area 13 was open june 18th until jan 2, 7 days a week. Thats a dramatic loss of a season.
Jake Dogfish
Commander

Return to Saltwater Fishing